Protect Your Family With Flood Insurance

Flooded house

Spring flowers bring April showers, which can also bring… flooding!
Be prepared for the next flash flood warning with flood insurance and water/sewer backup coverage.

Flood insurance covers physical loss caused by floods, related erosion, severe rainstorms, flash floods, hurricantes and snow melt. It’s covered under a Federal program called the National Flood Insurance program. Flood insurance can be purchased directly through your insurance agent, the same way you purchase your life or car insurance. You can purchase flood insurance for your home, apartment, business or condo.

You may not live near water, but flooding can still affect you. Almost 25% of all claims occur in low to moderate risk areas. If your home is located in such an area, you may be eligible for a low cost Preferred Risk Policy.

What does flood insurance cover? There are two types of flood insurance coverage. They include building property and personal property, each of which is purchased separately, although you are encouraged to purchase both types.

Building property coverage protects the structure, and generally covers:

  • The insured building and its foundation
  • The electrical and plubming systems
  • Central air conditioning equipment, furnaces and water heaters
  • Refrigerators, cooking stoves and built-in appliances such as dishwashers
  • Permantently installed carpeting over an unfinished floor
  • Permanently installed paneling, wallboard, bookcases and cabinets
  • Detached garages (up to 10 percent of building property coverage)
  • Detached buildings (other than garages) require a separate building property policy
  • Debris removal

Personal property coverage generally covers:

  • Curtains
  • Personal belongings, including clothing, furniture and electrical equipment
  • Portable and window air conditioners
  • Carpets not included in building property coverages
  • Washers and dryers
  • Food freezers and their contents
  • Certain valuable items such as original artwork and furs

There is usually a 30-day waiting period before a flood policy becomes effective and there are exceptions, so speak to your agent. It is important to know that your homeowners’ or business policy does not cover you for a sewer/drain back up or sump pump failure. However, most insurers do offer endorsements or add-ons to their policies, which can cover the cost of damages and cleaning up after this type of event.

If you are interested in purchasing flood insurance and water/sewer backup coverage, contact Members 1st Insurance Services  at (800) 283-2328, ext. 5218 or 5245. Members are eligible for an additional discount with several national and regional carriers through our insurance agency.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: